a character creation system for FKR and Mosaic Strict

(These are adapted from Kneipen & Knappen, a small FKR game I wrote. Reposting mostly for attestation: these rules are Mosaic Strict. They can easily be combined with Dan's Caretaker module; the below are more about external facts about your character while Caretaker is more about the internal side.)

MICA


Choose one of the following sentences and write it down:
  • "I was born (age) years ago to (community)."
  • "I was born (age) years ago and have never had a real home for (reason), instead learning enough to get by in (community), (community), and (community)."
Choose one of the following sentences and write it down:
  • "I am built like a (type of athlete)." (see for inspiration)
  • "I am built like a (type of athlete), but since receiving (permanent injury) I have compensated by learning (skill)."
  • "I stay up late squinting at dust-ridden tomes of (subject)."
  • "I am aged and weary after a long life of (activity)."
  • "I am a child - nimble, cute, and feeble."
  • "I am dissolute from my enjoyment of (vice) with (buddy), (buddy), and (buddy)."

Choose one of the following sentences and write it down:

  • "I studied (skill) under (master or organization). My relations with them are (either a good relationship that implies continued mutual obligations or a bad one that means you have enemies)."
  • "I've worked odd jobs as (profession), (profession), and (profession)."
  • "I've achieved the heights of success in (profession), but only through luck and deception that I suspect is on its way out."
  • "I know very little, but I do have a natural talent for (skill)." 
  • "I haven't needed to learn or do much of anything because of (source of independent wealth)"

Write down ALL of the following sentences:

  • "I'm known in (community) as (reputation)."
  • "I owe (somebody or something) a favor for (useful thing)."
  • "When people first see me, they assume (things about me)."

If you want, write down: 

  • "I can (magic); but (lore-relevant price)."

List any equipment you have which would follow from the above choices.

Expand on or come up with variations of any of the above, and adjust for genre as needed, but try to pair new good things with new bad things.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent, evocative prompts. Worldbuilding and immediate character distinction without any hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this structure more than "choose 3 three skills that you come up with." Many players need more support from something like this. Well done.

    ReplyDelete