A d6 table has six entries, right? Not here!
The following sort of table is meant to represent when you have a sequence of events or developments where some things are biased to happen later and indeed can't happen at the start, but where there's still considerable randomness about the exact order, and an expected "early" thing might never kick in.
To use this table, simply eliminate any results that arise for future rolls, decrementing every future result. Here's a toy example: a goop evolving into something like a person over millions of years:
d4 goop evolution table
- mouth and anus
- locomotion
- brain
- eyes
- opposable thumbs
- rational soul
So l roll 1d4 on the table and get a 1 - my goop is now a heterotroph with ingress and egress for nutrients. The table now looks like this:
- locomotion
- brain
- eyes
- opposable thumbs
- rational soul
I roll 1d4 again and get a 2 - my sessile coral thing now has a brain, but it can't see or move.
- locomotion
- eyes
- opposable thumbs
- rational soul
1d4 on this and I get 4 - they've evolved a rational soul! So now you have a coral that's a full person. Maybe it just contemplates, since it can't really do or observe anything? Maybe these are the brains in vats I've been hearing so much about? Maybe their strange dreams call out to people from the sea, singing of a strange kinship...
(Note this table could have given us sequences that make even less sense, like getting a rational soul before getting a brain - I would rather roll with and explain such oddities than try to fit everything into a more elaborate sequence.)
Potential uses of this could include:
- evolution, as in the above, towards
peoplecrabs - the villain's plans progressing
- class abilities, especially in your bespoke GLOGhack
- a civilization progressing up a "tech tree"
- rewards from a patron for progressively crazier tasks
I like this tech. Seems like it would lend itself towards tables that can be repurposed. For example, the goop evolution table could be used to determine the affected area of a mutation spell, making less "evolved" goop more likely to avoid harm if it hasn't developed the targeted feature.
ReplyDeleteNice to see parallel processing! I have been using this kind of Unfolding Table for a while and writing about it here: https://dodocahedron.blogspot.com/2022/05/folding-tables.html?m=1
ReplyDeleteJust in case folks are curious, here is the more elaborate initial post, where I called them dynamic tables: https://dodocahedron.blogspot.com/2022/02/legacy-or-dynamic-tables.html?m=1
ReplyDelete