antiblorb (blorb + anticanon)

Not like antivenom or antifascism, which are not venom or fascism, but like antimatter or antipaladins, which are wonky types of paladins or matter.

The blorb levels of truth are:

  1. explicit GM notes, and if none exist,
  2. procedures like random tables for generating truths flagged by the GM in advance, and if none exist,
  3. GM fiat

Antiblorb is quite similar, actually, following the hierarchy:

  1. explicit GM notes and overwise established truths, and if none exist
  2. if the facts would be known to PCs, established player headcanon, and if that does not exist or is inapplicable,
  3. if the facts would already by known to PCs, player fiat, and if that is not applicable,
  4. procedures like random tables for generating truths flagged by the GM in advance, and if none exist,
  5. GM fiat

Note that antiblorb is similar to blorb when PCs are literally or metaphorically "in the dungeon" investigating something outside of their zone of familiarity, allowing for the strength of blorb (genuine exploration and mystery.) When they're "in the tavern," literally or metaphorically, it's similar to and exploits the power of anticanon (making worldbuilding into a team sport.)



2 comments:

  1. Makes 100% sense to me.
    I'm currently running Trophy Gold that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use this principle but only for "mundanities". I wouldn't ask a PC who's a man of God to tell me about undead-killing rituals unless they're interested in that IRL, that's kind of my area as the referee because I'm the one who said there's undead in the first place and I should've had that prepared in the first place. I don't want them to think they can argue away a threat or challenge. But I DO almost always default to the players on the matter of stuff like who their own family members are or where their house is located (if they have one).

    ReplyDelete