gaming goals 2024

This is a year of cutting back - I anticipate further cuts to my time and there are other things I want to prioritize with the time left, so gaming gets triaged.

Keep playing weekly or biweekly. It's good! It's probably the only friends time I have. See if I can make it more in-person if possible. 

No more commercial products. I'm already sitting on a vast dragon's hoard, full of well-regarded stuff I haven't even gotten around to reading; so no paying for anything, and no piracy either. The exceptions:

  1. paying for shipping or printing costs for things I've already Kickstarted,
  2. getting a book if my group is playing a new game,
  3. books with gaming utility that aren't gaming specific (like my beloved Greenwood Press Daily Life series,) and other gaming-useful materials like pencils, paper, etc (but not "gamer products" like a beautiful GM's Screen or whatever)

Allocate less thinking time to gaming. Not zero, but in terms of books, blogs, podcasts, and independent thinking time, I'm going to focus more on other things I'm concerned about. I'll still be blogging myself, but about economics and politics and the future here, but this gaming blog will probably lie dormant for a good while.

I don't regret my time spent in this scene at all; lovely people (by and large), and delicious ideas. No doubt I'll come back eventually!

 

2 comments:

  1. I did a lot of cutting back on gaming-related stuff as well last year and it was the right decision.

    ReplyDelete